History

 The Carolina Mountain Club began in 1923 as a spinoff of an earlier outdoor club, the Southern Chapter of the Appalachian Mountain Club, which was chiefly focused on maintaining cabins for the use of its members. In 1931 CMC was strengthened when it united with the Carolina Appalachian Trail Club founded in 1930 to complete segments of the Appalachian Trail in the North Carolina-Tennessee region. The CMC at the time had about 60 members with 25-30 active members.

During the 1930s' CMC evolved into a strong organization with continuing emphases on hiking, trail construction and maintenance, and social activities featuring quest speakers and slide presentations. The organization publicized its activities extensively through the Asheville Citizen Times. The primary project of CMC during that decade was getting the Appalachian Trail routed, marked, and maintained. The club was responsible for all of the AT from Virginia to Georgia except the section in the Great Smoky Mountains. The CMC also took public positions on a variety of conservation projects, including purchase and preservation of forests, road building, and the development of the Tennessee Valley Authority lake system. From 1943 to 1946 the Club suspended activities because of the war.

After World War II CMC was reactivated, expanding and prospering around its three basic activities of hiking, maintaining its now 92 miles of AT and other trails, and promoting conservation. In the 1950s and 1960s it supported efforts to establish the Linville Gorge Wilderness, the Shining Rock and Middle Prong Wilderness, and the Craggy Mountain Scenic Area. Members volunteered thousands of hours in maintaining the AT, building shelters, and acquiring property alongside the trail.

A major project of the seventies was the planning and construction of the Mountains to Sea Trail, which is scheduled to run from Clingman's Dome in the Great Smokies to the coast of North Carolina. Eventually the CMC will be responsible for building and maintaining over 140 miles of the trail.

In 2013 the CMC will celebrate its 90th anniversary. In 1960 it broke the 100 member level and currently has had over 900 members. The Club sponsors all day hikes on Wednesdays and Sundays and half-day hikes on Sunday afternoons. It maintains several trail maintenance crews who work on the Appalachian Trail, Mountains to Sea Trail, and other trails in the region, altogether over 400 miles. Individual members also have responsibility for maintaining specific sections of the Appalachian and Mountains to Sea Trails. The principal social activities are the annual meeting in November,a spring social., and occasional overnights.

The CMC is the most important hiking and trail maintenance organization in western North Carolina. Its members come not only from Asheville, but other towns in the region and other states. It cooperates in joint concerns with the US Forest Service, the Appalachian Trail Conference, and other hiking clubs.

DETAIL HISTORY

TIME LINE

1923 CMC officially established in Asheville, NC; dues are $8/year. Primary activity is maintaining two cabins for member use.

1931 CMC merges with the Carolina Appalachian Trail Club.

1943 CMC suspends activities for WW II.

1946 CMC resumes activities.

1949 Ruth Brothers becomes first woman to be CMC president

1956 Mt. Tennent in Pisgah National Forest named for CMC's first president, Galliard Tennent.

1960 CMC membership breaks 100.

1961 Masa Knob in Great Smokies Mountain National Park named for CMC member George Masa.

1968 Hundred Favorite Trails published by CMC member and former president Bernard Elias.

1981 CMC begins greater emphasis on trail maintenance and enters agreement with government to maintain trails.

1994 CMC enters the digital age by procuring first Club computer.

1998 CMC launches its first website.

1999 CMC trail work increases to over 400 miles of trails maintained by Club.

2002 CMC enters into an agreement with UNCA to maintain Club archives.

2009 CMC membership increases to over 900.

Present CMC offers 3-5 hikes every week with over 350 individuals participating in almost 200 hikes.

http://www.carolinamtnclub.org/data/CMC-HistoryBook.pdf  

PAST PRESIDENTS

1923 Dr. Gaillard Tennent
1924 Verne Rhoades, first supervisor for the NC National Forests 
1925 Sometime in this period
1926 from Bernard Elias
1927 
1928 
1929 
1930 
1931 George Stephens
1932 George Stephens
1933 Ivan Sims
1934 G. S. Tennent
1935 O. C. Barker
1936 O. C. Barker
1937 H. A. Hazeltine
1938 H. A. Hazeltine
1939 Jesse Buell
1940 W. J. Dykeman, Jr.
1941 Arch Nichols
1942 Arch Nichols
1943 H. A. Hazeltine
1944 Club shut down for WW II
1945 Club shut down for WW II
1946 H. A. Hazeltine
1947 Arch Nichols
1948 Arch Nichols
1949 Ruth Brothers
1950 F. Piercy Carter
1951 F. Piercy Carter
1952 Roger Morrow
1953 Roger Morrow
1954 Charles Lindsley
1955 Charles Lindsley
1956 Robert Larson
1957 Arch Nichols
1958 Arch Nichols
1959 Carroll Cromwell
1960 Carroll Cromwell
1961 F. Piercy Carter
1962 Edgar Lyngholm
1963 Arch Nichols
1964 Nina Forbes
1965 Nina Forbes
1966 Bernard Elias
1967 Bernard Elias
1968 Bernard Elias
1969 Jim Hollandsworth
1970 Jim Hollandsworth
1971 Gerry McNabb
1972 Gerry McNabb
1973 Jack Davis
1974 Jack Davis
1975 Julian "Jim" Maddox
1976 Alan Barton
1977 Alan Barton
1978 John Tompkins
1979 John Tompkins
1980 Ray Ertzberger
1981 Ray Ertzberger
1982 George Oldham
1983 George Oldham
1984 Sarah Davis
1985 Sarah Davis
1986 Dick Roberts
1987 Phillip S. Cronkhite
1988 John Dickson
1989 John Dickson
1990 Brenda Thomas
1991 Bill Keesee
1992 Bill Keesee
1993 Jim Roddy
1994 Jim Roddy
1995 Dick Johnson
1996 Dick Johnson
1997 Elizabeth Feil
1998 Howard McDonald
1999 Howard McDonald
2000 John Pawcio
2001 John Pawcio
2002 Don Walton
2003 Don Walton
2004 Don Walton
2005 Gerry McNabb
2006 Lenny Bernstein
2007 Lenny Bernstein
2008 Becky Smucker
2009 Becky Smucker
2010 Barth Brooker
2011 Barth Brooker
2012 Marcia Bromberg
2013 Marcia Bromberg
2014 Lenny Bernstein

e24957bb-9d1d-4750-a2a2-4f5d125c3ce1,14927fd3-68e1-49fd-a89f-abf8a295ba37