You are here: Home > HIKING
If you'd like to hike with us, check out our hikes:
· We offer three or more group hikes each week.
· Our online Hike Finder offers a long list of hikes in Western North Carolina.
If you are interested in a hike you see on the list but can't find it in our hike schedule, send us a note through the Contact Us link and we'll try to work it into a future schedule. You can also contact us through the Club's Facebook Page--Carolina Mountain Club--to make comments and suggestions about hikes.
Are you new to the area? New to hiking?
· Check out this link to learn more about hiking with the CMC: New CMC Hikers Guidelines
· If you want to try some easy hikes check out the NC Arboretum. You can pick up a trail map at the gate or in one of the main buildings.
· You can find easier hikes with little altitude gain in the Bent Creek/Lake Powhatan section of the Pisgah National Forest (adjacent to the Arboretum). Download a trail map at http://hikewnc.info/trailheads/pisgah/pisgah/bentcreek_map_standard.html.
· Additional hikes can be found at http://hikewnc.info/trailheads/pisgah/.
CMC hikes are open to all, and we welcome guests. Non-members need to call or email the hike leader to introduce themselves and find out more about the hike. All hikers are encouraged to call or email the leader if they have questions about the hike or the location of the meeting place. Hike leaders may cancel their hike due to adverse weather or dangerous roads. Minors are welcome on CMC hikes if accompanied by a responsible adult. Pets are not allowed on CMC hikes.
CMC encourages hikers to carpool from the meeting places to the trailhead and back. Passengers are expected to contribute 10 cents per mile to their driver. Most CMC hikes do not require reservations. However, check the hiking schedule to determine whether a reservation is required (such as a wilderness hike).
Hike leaders have the right to reject participants who are not properly equipped for the hike or who are unlikely to be able to complete the hike. All hikers are expected to follow the leader's instructions. No one should get ahead of the leader or lag behind the sweep without permission. The leader must grant permission to any hiker who wishes to leave the hike before the finish.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR SAFETY
The Club cannot ensure the safety of any participant on hikes.
Each CMC member or guest agrees to accept personal responsibility for his or her own safety and for the safety of accompanying minors.
Each participant agrees to hold harmless and free from blame event leaders, the CMC, its officers and members for any accident, injury or illness that might be sustained from participating in Club hikes.